Fazenda Bananal's original main location was situated on the upper part of the farm, near the original route from the coast to the interior.
In 1846, the Estrada Real (Royal Road) was redesigned and the main location of the Fazenda was moved from the "Upper Bananal" to the "Lower Bananal" - where the restored historic farmhouse now stands and which was a stop for the tropeiros (muleteers) for supplies, purchases of products and often slaves.
The project of restoration and conservation of the current site of the Bananal Farm was carried out according to the criteria of the IPHAN (National Historic and Artistic Heritage Institute) and was based on documentary research and interviews, which made it possible to reconstruct the building in its original style, preserving its historical and architectural value.
The farmhouse, a relic of the old colonial estates, is a sugar mill of moderate dimensions, located near a watercourse that supplies the mill and is its main source of energy.
The attached mansion has an alcove, a circulation area, a living room and a kitchen. The structure features a large, unlined roof, typical of the period, and this roof is supported by stone pillars - found both in the supporting structure and on the first floor.
This is an authentic example of construction where the house itself is raised off the ground, providing strong support, preventing seepage into the building, and protecting the wattle and daub walls from the region's high humidity.